ComEd Precast Screen Wall TDC 95
Description of Project:
- ComEd planned to construct a new distribution substation in Bolingbrook, IL. Since the planned substation was near a residential area, ComEd decided to build a decorative security wall to screen the electrical equipment at TDC 525 on Hudson Avenue and South Naperville Road in Romeoville, IL.
- The wall is 8 feet high, and 972 feet in length with a 2′-6″ high steel security fence on top of the precast concrete segmental wall.
- The exterior of the wall which faces a residential area has an attractive ashler limestone pattern. The rear of the substation which faces light industrial buildings has an 8′ high steel security fence.
Scope of Work:
- Field inspections were conducted to determine the wall location and any interferences.
- Two alternative conceptual designs were developed and the most optimal alternative recommended for construction.
- Structural design of the support piers and the wall itself was prepared.
- Architectural design of the wall appearance was prepared for ComEd approval.
- The cost estimate for the wall construction was prepared.
- Construction management services were also provided.
Value to Client:
- The wall was designed to minimize construction cost and field work and is built of durable precast concrete.